Thursday 30 August 2018

MOG Sea Angling Festival


I attended the Mull of Galloway Sea Angling Festival last weekend. This inaugural event had a species hunt format. With 35 boats participating and the weather as usual playing up, we only got afloat on one of the two days, the Saturday.
There was a staggered launch with two start times to prevent congestion on the beach. We were on the first wave. After a nice sunrise and an average coffee with a great view, we set about getting prepared for the day ahead.


I was aboard Argonaut, 13 species finishing 7th The winners had a tremendous 21 species, great effort for one day. The social on the Saturday night was good, great to see some mates that I hadn't caught up with for a while as well as meeting a few new faces. I wouldn't change much about the event, possibly a limit on the hooks /rods per boat as opposed to per angler. This might level things a little for a boat with only two anglers. It took me 6 casts to get a Bass from a spot I fish from my kayak, kind of makes a mockery of 5 hours with a zero return last time out, that's fishing I suppose. Anyway, on a personal level ,I'll  attend again, it was well run and had a decent prize table, good effort from those involved. I would  have done things differently on the day given the choice. I might have that choice next year. It was also a decent result for my club, think we had 5 boats in the top 8.

The details of this years event can be found here


No comments: