Monday 10 April 2017

On a long shot

Leading up to Grand National weekend Jim and I had planned our own long shot with a trip to target large Brown Trout that inhabit a remote highland loch. I had planned to fish another loch in May with the same target so we made joint plans to give it a crack together. These fish we were after would be around 4 pound and above, sometimes considerably more, aren’t exactly numerous but they are there to be had. With a reasonable plan and some luck we agreed it would be worth the effort. I met Jim after driving to the venue when I finished work and we set up camp, in some luxury I might add. We had some food and opened a few bottles as we got the gear ready. We had a late night and a late start the next day but with no travelling time for a change we could afford that luxury.
All the gear and half an idea-we were in business

We spent about half of the first day throwing some budgies in a gusting 20mph wind with some drizzle. Jim had a Pike about 4 pounds and I had the smallest Pike I’ve caught in a while. This however was my first Pike on a fly; not exactly a significant capture but it brought a smile to my face on dour day.

We tried to escape the wind which was funnelling down the loch, some ducking and diving and Jim started day two with another Pike.


Having spawned the Pike were in a lean condition but they did add the odd bit of action while searching for trout. The first sign of these came to my rod. After casting out a Brown Trout pattern Rapala the lure swung around behind the boat and just at the angle you might expect a take a big Brownie hit it and went about 3 feet in the air. Unfortunately for me the line went slack ,the chance was gone. It did provide some encouragement and we refocused our efforts once again.
We started to pick up some nice trout but we did have a few setbacks. The weather wasn’t great,  the  fish finder failed and most likely, the area we ended up fishing as a result of this wasn’t renowned for the biggest specimens the loch can throw up.

While I appreciate they look of a good Sea Trout in freshwater mode I had forgotten how easy these fish are on the eye.
Lovely wild Brownies
On Saturday night the wind dropped and the loch was a much friendlier place. We agreed we could have been in a remote corner of Canada. We had the chance to relax and appreciate the surroundings, lovely sunset and a couple of fish, the world was a good place. It had been great to just completely get away from it all for a few days.
Back at base camp things however had deteriorated somewhat, stocks of Malbec had hit rock bottom, thanks to me. Jim’s Merlot had to be plundered and we realised the trip was coming to an end. I had arrived wearing a suit and over the course of a couple of days transformed into wandering around base camp in merino wool long johns and a bunnet, just what I needed as it happens. Thanks Jim for your hospitality, looking forward to our next adventure.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

No comments: