Saturday 2 April 2016

Big moments in small packages

I see the fish jump clear of the water and aim my next cast in front of where I think the fish now is. Working the lure I add a few pauses but all too quickly I’m running out of water. I can track the white side of my offering on every other turn, maybe the fish is there? I see the subtlest of creases in the calm water behind the lure, probably my imagination? Even with low light polarised glasses I still don’t see a fish. One last spin stop and it’s now or never, the Sea Trout knows it, so do I. On a short line the fish goes airborne, once, twice, three times and it’s deep in the fringe of floating bladder wrack before being scooped up by a well-placed net.
90 seconds from start to finish but just magic. At this time of year in Scotland there’s no other fish I would rather be chasing.

I have to thank Sam for any fish I caught today, he had an old room with a view over the Easter break. They’ve been there all along mate and I think we both agree that the grass isn’t always greener.




No comments: