Wednesday 26 August 2015

Ebro trip- Wels Catfish, Zander, Largemouth Bass and Perch

Well, we're back from a week of sunshine on the Ebro. First off, thanks to Lee Carpenter at Propredator for looking after us. He’s one of the good guys you meet in fishing now and then. He didn’t sugar coat the prospects in terms of how the fishing was, particularly for Zander. He gave us sound advice and worked at getting us on the fish. In a system full of predators and stacks of baitfish it was never easy but we stuck at it with artificials. At times it sapped my confidence and it was hard to work out a pattern on any given day as to what the right approach might be. The fish we were after were there in numbers, we could see Bass, marked countless shoals of Zander and vertical jigged on Cats. On the last afternoon I felt I was just getting to grips with the Zander fishing, typical. I have some good video which will take me while to sort through. Some lost opportunities caught on camera, laughs, a few tantrums and of course the fish we caught. I’ll be back to fish with Lee, there’s a lump of a Zed that nearly gave me a last day meltdown. It’s waiting, somewhere, probably under a bridge grinning. Scott will probably do a more detailed report. I'll put a link on here when he has it written up. Here are some images from our Ebro tour.

Scott's first cat
My first cat
Me playing a cat on my Zander gear. The fish is visible on the screen.
The LMB were skittish.You only had a few casts at them before they went down.
When we found them the Perch were nice to catch in the sun
A Zed on a jika rigged crayfish plastic
Ooofff, pussy power!
They seemed to like a little Berkley Ripple Shad in red/white ripped past them
Scott with a nice one of 82 pounds on one of Lee's Spro lures..He somehow seemed to be cleaner than me after this picture was taken.
Handy for getting to the front of a busy checkout quickly when you visit the supermarket.
 
My 108 pound Wels caught vertical jigging. "fishing like a dick" was the catch phrase day to day when it was really hot. Now and then we both retained a wee bit of focus.
I caught this on a 6 inch Gary Yamamoto shad in white. Good advice from Lee.
My last Ebro fish. I lost two fish prior to this. One was a lump that I'm still thinking about.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

Scott Hutchison said...

Think I just heard an echo of your last day outburst mate. Could be the end of the Military Tattoo right enough. YA F@%$&*G B#$£%&D!

brian said...

Awesome! Looks like you both had a great time!

Martin said...

It was hard work at times Brian, wish I was back there just now right enough.

Aye, there's an echo in my head with that one Scott.....

Col said...

A few memorable captures there ! well done to both of you.

Luremaniac! said...

Wow! This is what im talking about!! What an amazing variety of predators!

Martin said...

Thanks Col

Think you would have liked it there Dimitrious.