Saturday 29 August 2015

Ebro Trip-coastal sessions

When we arrived in Barcelona we didn’t waste any time driving straight to Salou to try a likely looking spot Scott had checked out on Google. We spent a few hours on the rocks with me opting to try some small metals and Scott going for  Angleworm on a drop shot rig. Scott started getting a few taps here and there and caught the first fish of the trip, a Ringneck Blenny. Scott landed a few more but I blanked and we decided to hit the road for the next leg of our journey in-land to Caspe.
We hit the coast again mid trip. After an early morning session we finished up at 4pm and drove to L’Ametlla de Mar which was about two hours from Caspe. The venue was a commercial breakwater which looked to host a fleet of seine netting pairs. It said no fishing on the gate but we entered anyway and made our way to end, away from the boats. It had been a long day at that point and I wasn’t feeling particularly positive. Scott however was in his element handing me a rig and directing me to the tub of Angleworm. I had attached the rig to lightest set up I had with me which was my little Ultron drop-shot rod. Scott was still setting his own gear up when my rig hit the bottom, the rod hooped over in a nice curve and the first of few new species for me made its way up the harbour wall. This LRF malarkey in the evening sunshine in Spain was all right!
The bream we were catching pulled hard for their size and when I hooked this I knew it was something different. I had to walk this along the wall and down to the rocks. A smashing looking little fish with copper and purple colours. Scott reckons its a Brown Meagre but he's not 100%
 
So a nice evening was had before we hit the road yet again. Scott confirmed the ID's of my new captures, Saddled Seabream, Annular Seabream, Black Scorpionfish, Common Two Banded Seabream and what he thinks is a Brown Meagre.
 
Scott had the above as well as Striped Red Mullet, Damselfish and East Atlantic Peacock Wrasse.
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

No comments: