Monday 31 August 2015

Summer Wrasse wrestling

Summer has come and almost gone and not having caught a Wrasse it was about time to put this right. I had arranged to meet Gordon and Jim at our chosen venue. When Gordon called to tell me he had just arrived I had already lost three Wrasse, one of my first cast. I was hoping it wasn’t going to turn in to one of those days. I had started with a Lunker City Ribster on 7g weedless jig head which is a fairly successful Wrasse set up for me. After covering a few other likely looking areas without another bite I tried a different presentation moving on to a drop shot rig. I went through a few different coloured shads then moved on to Carolina rig with the Ribster. I was sure this would work but it proved to be fruitless. I dug out the jig head I had started with and put on the Ribster, having just started to slowly work it back towards me I felt a tap and connected to a nice fish, it too came off. Each of the fish seemed to have been well hooked, the hook point while not like new was ok, probably just more bad angling from me. Gordon, where’s the ragworm?

I went back to the Carolina rig, changed hooks and it was all business. The rod was nearly pulled from my hands on a few occasions.

A nice Ballan

The first of the Corkwings. Probably the smallest of them here, some of these were knocking on for 5oz+
As Gordon and I extracted Wrasse "words of encouragement" were directed at Jim who had stuck to plastics.
I changed over to using the ragworm  on a drop shot rig which improved my numbers of fish landed.

Jim made a few changes trying some different lures and was rewarded for his perseverance with a run of fish.
Gordon also managed a little Pollack
We had a visit from some Kayakers. Jim asked them get a snagged fish out for him on the way past. Just at that, Gordon hooked up again.
The forecast had rain in it. Thankfully this never came to anything.
 
Another chunky Corkwing
 
A great days fishing with a some laughs thrown in. Summer Wrasse fishing at its best.
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

Cnuty McFlapps said...

Good fishing. Good Company. After losing yet another fish, martin swore continuously for nearly twenty seven minutes without saying the swear word twice. This was accompanied by the infamous "Galston Temper dance". A delight to see. :-)

Col said...

Great stuff Martin , wrasse are a great fish to enjoy with a few mates, looks like the weather was good too.

Martin said...

Yes they are Col, might have another trip in Sept, maybe in the yak this time though.

Thanks for your kind words Cnuty. That dance has taken countless hours in front of the mirror to master. My record for the record is 29 minutes.

Scott Hutchison said...

More foul mouthed outbursts eh? Save some for when we are down the Mull trying in vain to catch the elusive three bearded rockling later in the year. ;-)

Martin said...

That could be a special trip, might need to get a training programme together for that one, learn some new words etc.

Scott Hutchison said...

Foreign languages are always an option. Greek ones are quite good and often include provocative hand gestures that you could incorporate into a new dance. :-D

Martin said...

Yeah, thanks for that. I'm sure I could learn a lot from a video tutorial if you're willing to get involved. You could of course show me how to do it when you get stuck on 49 species on December 31st ;0)