Saturday 30 May 2015

Worth the effort

I’ve not fished this loch for a while and today was a good day to give it a try as it provided a little shelter from the ever present wind. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to fish it from a kayak or a boat so thought it was about time to find out. Getting to the launch spot with the gear was challenging and for the first ten minutes on the water all I could think about was the return trip. This would be up hill on the return through a marsh, hillocks, dead bushes and a few boulders so I decided to park the negativity and focus on getting some fish.

Thankfully the fishing was steady starting off with a couple of Pike and moving on to the target species for me which was Perch.  

This fish had been hooked and lost before. The hook had all but disintegrated and I didn't notice the trace till I was about to put it back.

The fish seemed to have a preference for the shad you can see in one of the pictures as well as the SG dying minnow fished on a drop shot rig.



I'll feel it in the morning even with a short break to stretch my legs.


The haul up the hill after 8 hours on the water was a pain but I could still crack the odd smile when I was on the water.

                                                         More like the fish I'm after

2 comments:

Luremaniac! said...

Some good results there! Is it quite deep? I see a lot of lead there...
keep it up

Martin said...

Thanks, enjoyable day.I gave the margins a good look over, tried the spots I would normally fish from the shore, nothing.Any fish I saw on the sounder or caught were at between 20-30ft.As the day went on and it got brighter so that's maybe to be expected I guess. It looks pretty calm but it was gusty even peddling to stay in one spot against the wind some lead was required, 1 ounce on the drop shot at one point, 20g on the shad