Monday 18 May 2015

That’s that out the way




The first Bass of the year was not going to catch itself. The wait for decent conditions to target them on lures might be a long one given the weather we have had in May so far. I had some frozen crab left from last year so rather than sit at home reading various forums I decided on Sunday afternoon that I would give it a shot. The high winds that would have torn the beach up on Saturday had dropped a little and when I arrived there was a nice surf running ,plenty of colour and some lovely driving rain. I knew the weed would be a problem and a few minutes after my first cast it was apparent things would be very difficult in this respect. I could see the weed strung out along my line building in volume by the second as the tide dropped. I did get a bite before I had to move and had some sort of fish on. The weight of the weed built up on my leader knot resulted in 20 foot of leader coming in horizontally and my second hook got snagged resulting in a break off. Having moved along the beach to find a spot with less weed things improved. I fished the best part of the tide but didn’t have any offers despite putting some nice big crab baits into surf that looked ideal. Thankfully I don’t have too many blanks but I’m happy I at least tried to scratch the itch for the first Bass of the year.

No comments: