Saturday 13 April 2013

Tough but better than a day @ work

The Sea Trout won the battle today, went 2 from about 11 or 12, lost count over what felt like and actually was a long day, a character building session.

Its a start but the next fish took a while.
Too many things happened by way of missed chances, this was typical. With the fish coming short I put on a clouser in chartreuse/white on the dropper in front of the lure, nice in the bright conditions I thought. This will sort them. Now, today, everything was happening in the last 20 feet and I’m thinking, let’s see what they make of that with a pause at the end of the retrieve. First cast with it, two turns on the handle and bang, fish jumps, hooked on the teaser and does a cartwheel and then removes itself from the hook after the next jump. That worked out well, no interest in it whatsoever after that.
I tried a variety of approaches in an effort to get a solid hook up; I eventually did on a jaffa coloured Hansen Stripper with hook reversed for the more subtle action. So much for natural colours in bright conditions. I should have taken a picture, its yellow/orange with black dots and not really what I would normally use in clear water conditions on an afternoon but I was out of ideas to be honest.
Best markings I've seen on a fish for while.

45cm,had some trouble with this one going back but it eventually went on its way,my hands were frozen.

I did have another good hook up on the jaffa but it to inexplicably came off. Happy days. I would have been home earlier but I get the impression that there are some bigger fish about this year so I thought it was worth sticking at it.


No comments: