Friday 12 April 2013

A trip up the sea lochs

A trip down memory lane today through Rhu, Blairvadoch, Faslane , Kilcreggan and around into Loch Long. I’d almost forgotten about our antics in the hire boats on the Gareloch back in the 80’s. The game at the time was to get as close to the sub base as you could before being hunted by the patrol boat. I also remember Rodney and me strolling into the base, around where the accommodation is now, setting up a beachcaster and blasting a bait each into the depths from a nice easy fishing platform. A good Cod each in rapid succession before the guys with guns arrived. Despite being in the midst of the cold war, security, in comparison to these days was in hindsight slack I guess. Either of these two actions today would probably see you in a stress position in dark room for a day or so…..
I was off today but didn’t start fishing till about 12pm, the fish were waiting for me.

I tried for an under water  release video but just ended up with another picture...

41cm, decent enough start

After getting another fish about the same size I thought I’d be smart and set the camera up on a nice rock formation. The idea would be to get some video, maybe a jump if I was lucky. All I got was a lost fish for my troubles as it nipped the lure and followed it to my ankles before heading back out to sea. I changed lures and after a cast or two it doubled back on itself and got tangled. As I wound it in sideways it flashed and vibrated, following it in over the last few yards I saw two clonking Sea Trout turn side on and away, what I didn’t realise till a fraction of second later was that there was an equally nice fish still locked on to the lure till it too peeled off and went on its way. Gutted… any of those fish would have made the spring for me.
One for the LRF lads

I had a break after two hours fishing and drove into Helensburgh to get something to eat.  After another couple of two hour sessions the only thing I had for my efforts as the light went was a solitary small Coalie.

I’ve never fished this area for Sea Trout before so it’s a learning curve, but again, had my chances so I’ll be back at it tomorrow


No comments: