Tuesday 4 September 2012

Return of the tramps tan & a couple of Pike

30 mph winds, bright sunshine great day for the topping up the hands, head and neck. I'm off to Crete soon and it’s going to be patch work quilt material, anyway, the fishing. I found a corner with the wind off my back as I was feeling lazy.  Water level worse than yesterday, yes even higher. I tried a new spot. Fishing buddy Scott Hutcheson had sent me a package with some Relax Kopyto shads. This was much appreciated as tackle losses were heavy yesterday and also set the trend for today as fishing these deep is not without its risks in the flooded boulder fields I was fishing. I was also left with some £ shop wire traces Jamie thankfully donated yesterday, the wire was fine but the clips and swivels were woeful but better than nothing.
First up a Perch but couldn’t be bothered getting the camera out. Then along came a Pike….
This one was a thrash and jump merchant

Lost shortly afterwards like everything else in my bag
I covered a lot of ground with nothing to show for my efforts and then I got snagged about 20 yards out…but then, the snag shook its head and stayed deep zipping off on a number of nice runs this fish was as fit as a fiddle, not wasting any energy on jumps it left some nice tail patterns in the black water. I was keen to see what had put a proper bend in my HPR and looked for a better spot to land the fish, not before it got its head down for a few more runs.

Green, red chartreuse shad
I had my camera on a lanyard and my Bass bag in my pocket, gave it a swing in the bag and it went 7.9 and was sent on its way.


I lost a Perch but moved along the bank trying some more SP’s on 10g heads losing nearly everything in my bag. The weedless heads 3.5-5g were no use, too much wind and not enough feel, nothing on spoons and I even tried an X rap so it was time for  home and a beer.

4 comments:

The Hook Up Tackle said...

Great photos of the pikes you caught. What lake did you fish from?

Martin said...

Thanks, it was one of the less known Scottish Pike waters.I'd rather not say which one.

Col said...

Nice one Martin, Really nice colouration in those Pike .

Col

Martin said...

Cheers Col, hope to add a few more...