Sunday 19 August 2012

Teeth, stripes and some silver

The weather forecast for Saturday said bright sunshine and clear skies so I decided to park the Bass for the time being and head off with Stewart for Pike and Perch. Imagine my surprise when we found ourselves in the early morning rain and fog at our chosen venue…..
Anyway the fishing started brightly when I had a nice fish on a Flatt Shad after five minutes, Stewart provided this gem of me below.

Honestly I'm sober
This one but about 15 minutes later I caught another on the same lure.
I worked my way into a weedy corner with a stream running in which was a nice feature when I started to pick up a Perch or two after a switch to an Abu Atom, I call it the cannibal colour for obvious reasons.
Stewart had taken different approach using bait and lures and I could see him further up the bank catching some fish as I moved around from rock to rock.

I made my way back up and took and short break and after a catch up with Stewart switched to a 3.5g Illex Texas jig head and Lunker City Ribster courtesy of a fishing buddy Jake Schogler and on my first cast I pinched this from under Stewart’s nose who managed to get a video clip of the scrap, will post this up at some point.


I  swapped  lures and tried various SP’s and eventually connected with a better Perch on the Atom cast far and retrieved slow and deep.
A great mornings fishing ,with the sun now shining we headed home with Stewart having had the best Pike of the day with a fish of about 8/9 pounds and plenty of Perch.
After dropping Stewart off about 2pm I had a short visit home to say hello to Lynne, get some lunch and have a change of tactics. When I headed off Bass fishing I only took two hard lures and decided to stick to SP’s in the hope of getting a better fish.
As the sun set I was running out of steam to be honest.
This was the first of the fish to hit my white Wave Worm, it gave me a boost but none of the fish were much better than just over 2 pounds.