Saturday 25 August 2012

Connected

I’ve seen some discussion on a few forums recently about this fish versus that fish and reasoning why some people target a specific species. They’re easier, they’re only small fish, and it’s a diddy species essentially calling into question the angler’s ability to catch anything else. While I can sort of see the argument I guess you get extremists in any walk of life. It’s all just fishing to me.....
For me, with the exception of using a fly rod lure fishing provides the most connected feeling making an
inanimate  object animated enough to fool in this case the humble Perch.
 It was a dour morning and the Perch didn’t seem interested in any of the spoons I initially threw at them. The fish above took a Savage Gear 4play on a 10g head bumped on the bottom and then left motionless.
A Pike had a go at a small fish I was retrieving but didn’t seem interested in the 4play so I put on an orange Atom and it took it first cast.
To mix it up a bit I tried the suspending Flatt Shad but only had this fish to show for my efforts, worked hard with two sweeps of the rod tip then left stationary.
The wind had got up a bit so I tried a pink Savage Gear Dying Minnow, don’t think it’s supposed to be used rigged like this but nobody had told the fish. I was able to cast this a little further into the headwind to find some deeper water and it was fish after fish.
The Pike fancied a bit of the pinkie as well.