Saturday 11 August 2012

Wrasse & a barbi...true summer companions

Two days of sunshine on the trot at the weekend…yeah right!  Lynne packed the burgers and I packed a rod and some SP’s.
I like my Wrasse fishing and it’s something I don’t do often enough but my feet are not on firm ground when it comes to using soft plastics on them. Then again it’s just a fish and it’s just another lure how hard can it be? I’ve only tried once before in June so and while I caught Wrasse on bait and then some Pollack on some 3 inch stick worms I didn’t have any joy with Wrasse on the day in question.
To answer my own questions it’s both difficult and pretty easy. I only had a limited time to get a fish. Remember this wasn’t a fishing trip so while Lynne was doing two crosswords I was completing my own puzzle. Long story short after  trying Xlayers, stick worms, D Fins in quick succession I got a couple of tentative offers on a 3 inch Umiushi  on 3.5g finesse jig head so stuck with this.

Looks like a sort of translucent shrimp to me

Less is more and I found that putting the Umiushi   into an area and shaking the rod tip then doing nothing seemed to get a response. If nothing happened, move the lure a bit and try again. After a few missed takes and lures being bitten in half I landed this.

I got another about 1 ¼ about 20 minutes later but had left the camera with Lynne after she rudely
interrupted my train of thought. So a couple of fish in 90 minutes with a few more missed. I could get into this, a bit more to it of course, wish the summers were longer.