Saturday 21 July 2012

This weeks round up

Quick round up for the week. Fished with Rodney for some Sea Trout and we caught 5 or 6 each with him having the best of them. The fish seemed to be coming short and it would have been a good night to use a teaser above the lure with something like a shrimp or fry pattern. Having had my fly box in my hand before leaving the house I wasn’t best pleased to have left it at home.

I was down in the SW last night and the plan was to fish the incoming tide into darkness and then fish SP’s with a controller in darkness looking for more of these.
But all I got was more of these…..  wading, sharp hooks slippery rocks = not great pictures 
I meet a couple of guys fly fishing who managed a  small Bass each while I managed to get five, some Pollack and a Mackerel. We were fishing with 40 yards of and for me there seemed to be a lot of action over a short period but it was noticeable the difference in results due to the ground I could cover with the Hart X3 pencil I was using. It looked like a nice night for fish off the surface but having tried when I knew there were Bass there they didn’t seem interested.
I then switched to night mode at about midnight with the Bombarda and Killie lure and got a Bass on my first cast, same sort of size followed by some small Pollack and then an another school Bass. It really tunes your senses in fishing at night alone ,dead slow retrieve you can feel the movement of the lure through the weed, then the interest from the fish but it would be nice if there was the odd better fish in there.
I’m getting a bit despondent about the average size of Bass in July for me at least. I can feel a Mullet and Wrasse session coming on soon.