Saturday 28 July 2012

Red Bull & Marlbro Nights

Another dark session last night which started badly. I had some issues knotting my Sunline after three attempts out came the spare spool with Power Pro. Nothing wrong with the braid but can’t say the same for my eyes, certainly at night anyway.


I started off with a Bombarda and Pearl Skaliwag which had been doctored two tone with a black marker to make it blurple a nice mixture of black and purple. First cast I just getting my eyes adjusted and looking for the controller which was still about 20 ft away when I had a solid take, 1.15am. A good start, not a really small fish but not what I was after and with a quick picture just up the beach the fish was back on its way.


This was followed by another about 30 minutes later. The fish got hung up in weed and the headlight had to go on, wading stick bounced off a couple of rocks and I realised I was making too much commotion between this and flashes going off earlier. I then stumbled along the rocks in darkness and gave myself the comfort of my red light for the last few feet.

I had changed my offering for something bigger, a 200mm SP( lets call it x) but the hook was too heavy for the shallow and weedy terrain and it found every bit of bladderwrack there was. Another change of SP and I had an instant return. This fish didn’t just take the lure it ran with from the get go tearing through the weed. How good does Power Pro sound leaving the reel at speed going up through the guides? Strong fish, after a quick visit to the weighing bag, 3 pounds on the nose.

 I checked my drag but found it to be surprisingly tight. The fish had just given a super account of itself with 3 terrific runs before wrapping the leader around some weed stalks. More wading, more commotion, not good but decided to use the camera this time. I sat for 10 minutes to rest the area and had another cast, smash!  This one didn’t go as hard as the other but yet again hung itself up in the weed so in I went again, 3 pounds 4oz .

The Yamaga was outstanding and extra length a great help not least to keep wading to a bare minimum and getting over the weed /taking zone at the end of retrieve. It was pleasure to use and while not really what it was designed for it took to it well.

I only fished for 4 hours this morning and the last hour was a non-event, too much wading and noise but it was good to get some slightly better fish. I think I learnt a few handy things for the future.

Out again tonight, better get some more Red Bull.