Friday 13 July 2012

A few hours on a nice evening

A few of us met up down in the SW last night, Scott, Chris, Paul with Jamie and me driving down for the evening round trip.

Conditions were calm and bright with small tides so we knew it wouldn’t be bumper. We fished a rough and weedy area and after a couple of almost fruitless hours on a variety of surface lures and Shads the only thing to admire was the start of a nice sunset.
With the light going I could see Pollack moving way way out so out came the Hansen knowing fine well that any slight pause on the retrieve and I wouldn’t see the lure again. I then managed a couple of Pollack and a Mackerel.
As the light went with the exception of Paul we moved to the beach where the tide was so small it had hardly moved at all. I kept the Hansen on as with a vast expanse of calm water on the beach it’s a good lure to prospect with. The first sign of life was a humongous Salmon which cleared the water about 70 yards out. I then had a false alarm with another Mackerel before the first small Bass came along.

Paul then joined us on the beach and after finding the fish I managed 5 and lost as many with the fish nudging lightly at the lure at range then following it in the spin-stops were very very effective yet again.

By this point it was getting late so time to head home on a school night. There were a few blanks with only Paul and I getting fish and I think we were lucky to get them at all.