Friday 6 July 2012

Some fish but we take a wrong turn

It was a flat calm night last night with a threat of thunder and lightning that eventually turned up with a brief but monsoon like rain storm.

We got lazy and gave the rocks a miss which I think was a mistake. There were plenty of fish to be seen moving on the surface between the fronds of sea lace. I could see it floating and occasional caught it a good way out but knew there was less of a chance on a night like tonight anyway of really good fish from this beach.

I’ve never lost five or so Bass in a session at the same point, ten feet from my rod tip which was curious as they had come in just fine from 70 yards. Two of them being reasonable fish. This little’un was the first to stay attached.

Then this jumped on the hook followed by another of a similar size.

And as the light faded and I continued to lose fish this but this one stayed on.
I checked the hooks and they seemed fine. The fish were all taken at the extreme top end of my casting range hence the use of the Hansen Fight. I also had some Mackerel and a solitary Pollack.


Jamie had a night that’s best not mentioned at all. I'm sure if we had fished on overnight we would have taken a couple of bigger fish, it had that feel to it.