Wednesday 4 July 2012

Fish’n Impossible

Your mission should you chose to accept it is to land every Sea Trout you hook.
Anyone who has tried for Sea Trout in the sea or freshwater for that matter will know they can be tricky to keep on the hook with their airborne antics they can be masters of escape. On many occasions you see both the fish and whatever you happen to be using parting company mid-air. Last night was a wee bit different to say the least.
This fish hammered the Hansen In Line lure first cast. Good start but that usually makes me wary that its downhill from there!
A short while later this little chap wanted in on the action.
Then his brother came along and the In Line lure was working a treat providing no leverage for the fish to spit the lure as it’s free to travel up the line. I also add a little fluro bead providing some protection for the knot as well as a hot spot for the fish to hit.
This fish took another pattern of Hansen which I’ve painted white. Although the In Line was working well I noticed that there was a rough spot somewhere on the lure which was causing it to wear/fray the Seagur Ace Hard Fluro.
I then did a spot of deep wading to cover a seam of current just out of reach of even my best casting lures. This produced a few more fish and a couple of nice one's at that.
I moved back to a more sensible position as I was trying to go back to my hotel dry for once. My fish had been taken with an up tide cast but being too lazy to walk a few more yards to cover the next area of water I put a cast along and down resulting in this beauty. He totally nailed my lure and took to the air and started using the current to his advantage. It also coughed up a Smelt which was approximately the same size and profile of the lures I was using (funny that?)
A change of lure colour as water clarity had worsened with the tide’s progress and the fish were still in the mood.
A couple observations...good spread of sizes which is good to see. Also hanging spin stops are very effective. I've started doing these not just when a fish follows or I feel a bump but try them on speculative basis during the retrieve.

Back to the mission….. One of those rare nights where they all stay on the hook and sure I missed a few takes but each one stayed on the hook once connected.  Not a night to be counting fish but it was many. It was more of a night to just enjoy a superb session over a good tide on a nice night.