Saturday 18 February 2012

South Uist

If you fancy something different or can cast a fly check out South Uist. The cost of travelling by ferry has come down somewhat due to RET- road equivalent tariff.


There is some super Seat Trout, Brown Trout and Salmon to be had. The sea angling is just about not done at all. I used to spend my summers up here as a kid and have had holidays up there all too infrequently where I scratched at the surface of the potential. The east coast is deep and the west coast has some fantastic sandy beaches which now hold Bass. There is a cracking tidal race on Benbecula where my cousin Ian and I caught Tope from the shore. Its just really interesting water which screams Bass to me nowadays. Unfortunately the last time I was up there in January was for my aunt Audrey's funeral . She will be sadly missed by us all and I have a lot of good memories of her doing her best to look after both me and Ian as she constantly tried to make sure we were fed watered and washed as we tore about the local beaches an lochs without a care in the world... good times.


If you have your head on and can deal with the weather and environment you will get your rewards.


John Kennedy & Ian Kennedy South Uist- Google them if you want to catch Sea Trout, Salmon and some special Brown Trout fishing. I have included a link from a visiting angler that I just came across.





Ian pictured above didn't catch the fish above but did ghillie it... be warned if he has a rod in his hand and you take a break he has the annoying knack of catching fish like this. Good angler and good tier of flies and with the exception of his father probably knows as much as there is to know about the loch fishing up there.

No comments: