Saturday 7 November 2009

October- Bass,Wrasse & wasp stings




Having been busy with Bass and Mullet I had not done any Wrasse fishing this year. This was pity as last year I had set myself a target of getting a fish of 5 pounds. My intention was to target these all summer but it just never happened. Still, being a decent month to target them Rodney and I got ourselves sorted out. The weather the day prior to our session had been unsettled, wet and windy. When I woke on Sunday morning I peered bleary eyed out the window not sure what I would find.... calm and sunny the trip was on.

Long story short we had 30 or so Wrasse. Surprised the size seemed to be down on our previous trips. To be fair the pair of us seemed to be hopeless for most of trip, missing bites stumbling about the rocks like bambi on ice. In fact he broke the tip ring on his rod when connected to probably the biggest Wrasse of the trip, I could see it clearly and it would have went 3-4 pounds when the hook popped out. On top of the tip breaking… hilarious. He followed this stunt up by screaming at me and clawing at his groin area about half an hour later. He then stood on the rocks dropped his strides and killed the wasp which had climbed up his trouser leg…. absolute quality.

I had one Bass session late in the month. Being October I had visions of landing a bass bigger than my PB which is 6 pounds 6 oz. I decided to have an evening session and then a dawn session via a B & B stay. Having been reading up on lure fishing at night I gave it a go. I took two fish at dusk and then two fish around 9.30pm..Totally black, no moon with a really slow retrieve using a Feed Shallow. In addition I had six or so small Pollack. The Bass? These were about the smallest I have caught all year, in fact come to think of it this mark has produced pretty much all small fish, note to self. I did learn a few things and you definitely tune into the environment. I have to say that I did not like the seal literally sniffing about me less than fifteen feet away in the pitch black, quite spooky. That was the end of the fishing for that night. I gave it go at first light and despite what I would say were good conditions I blanked, that as they say is show business! Nice sunrise though.

No comments: