Tuesday 2 June 2020

Hot hot hot!


Jamie and I had our first joint session of the year yesterday. We travelled in two vehicles for obvious reasons and chatted on the phone about where we could have been today, but that will come soon enough. One thing I pointed out was at the minute, this area was on top of the highest water temperature for ten years for this day in June. Probably not too surprising given we’ve had the sunniest May on record and possibly explained what happened later in our session. After Saturday I was dressed for the weather, wide brimmed hat and sun mitts that I usually wear when I’m abroad, it was just great to be back out again.

After a couple of blank hours Jamie opened his account with his first fish of the year, a nice little Bass of about 1.5 pounds as a breeze picked up putting some movement on the water. Until that point there had been no seals, birds and the sea was oily calm with no signs of life.  What happened next was unusual, for about an hour, on every other cast, I had Garfish follow and nip a variety of lures. Some were big, some were small and in between them I caught a few school bass. Jamie who was 30 yards away didn’t see one, bizarre given what was happening in front of me. I caught one here 6 years ago on a Mag Popper and I was wishing I had a small sea trout metal with me. I’m certain I would have landed a few yesterday. There’s no doubt we have them in Scottish waters, but I’ve never come across so many before. Maybe it was the unseasonal weather we’ve been having?
I picked my way through some small Bass here and there, the DoLive’s which were effective on Saturday were redundant yesterday. As we moved, I changed to the Wexford Worm AKA the Wave Bamboo Stick and picked up two better fish around 2.5 pounds from two gulleys as Jamie watched while taking a break. It’s a great way to fish just rolling these around, nice on a warm afternoon, minimum effort then “dink” fish on! It was good fun with the fish taking some line as they tore down the gully with my rod high to keep the line away from the rock ledges. We called it a day shortly after that, another super day where you appreciate freedom even more.

No comments: