Monday 24 December 2018

Was it a fluke?

After yesterdays trip the boat was left on the roof and the kit in the car, straight in the shower and a quick change before the family arrived for a pre Christmas dinner. I even had 5 mins spare for a glass of  Malbec. I watched my intake but hit the road later than I would have liked with the boat covered in a thick layer of frost, destination Jurassic Pollack reef. 

The ride out was bumpier than I anticipated given the conditions on shore. I had a spin around checking the finder and it wasn't looking good. Back in November there had been a lot of solid marks in the 25-40ft depth range, thick yellow and orange lines rising off the bottom that normally mean success is on the cards. Today the returns were narrow yellow lines hugging the bottom super tight. On standard sonar view they were not visible but the down-scan view using the Lowrance FishReveal feature showed me there was something to go at. After about an hour drifting and casting I decided  to troll. As much as I don't really like doing it, some days it's the way to go and so it proved today. I started picking up fish on a regular basis, Pollack with some Coalies in the mix, nothing big but decent enough sport. Top lure for the day was the Bass Assassin Sea Shad in chartreuse, they just seem to love that thin wrist on the tail. I took four fish for the table before heading home to wrap some presents. I'll try here again at some point, maybe my first session here was a fluke? One of things that keeps us coming back I guess.



Pollack thumb, a sign of a busy couple of days afloat!




No comments: