Monday 30 May 2016

Watching and waiting

I had a few options today and decided to fish for Sea Trout again following on from Friday night’s success. The forecast and tide times suggested I would be better off making an early start, it would be pretty difficult conditions from mid-morning onwards. For once, really nice bank holiday weather.

I’ve started to fish a stretch of coast which is new to me, the only way to get to know it is be there. I’ll probably take a few hits along the way but there are few shortcuts.
Sea Trout soup! 150 yards of weed and small marine life.  There were Terns, Cormorants and a few other birds having breakfast as I sat and watched for signs of life. I saw a couple of fish moving around but it was impossible to fish of course and too deep to wade to the far side of the weed line. It didn’t stop me trying right enough.  The ebbing tide sucks these sands dry and the fish are there hoovering up whatever they come across.
There were lots of sand eel around, as many as I’ve seen in this part of the world. The Sea Trout weren’t short of food items today. I managed a couple of fish and lost another one deep wading in the tidal flow. By late morning I didn’t feel there was much point in hanging around but I did anyway. Sometimes it’s just useful to observe, something I'm not particularly good at a lot of the time.

No comments: