Saturday 27 February 2016

Two stroke Jock

It was a lovely day to be out. Having had a late start I missed a good part of the rising tide and the opportunities that it would have delivered. I don’t normally meet or see any other anglers on my travels and I’m sort of spoiled having the various spots to myself.  As I set up an angler went past perched on a SUP rigged for fishing. This looked interesting, silent, good exercise and possibly a lot of fun. Then there were the SIB’s, three of them to be precise. As I stood wading and casting one rolled up to me to ask me if I had any success. No I replied, just started. A two stroke outboard roaring around shallow water on a bright calm day just isn’t helpful. Having started on my fly gear I also felt a little restricted. Especially on a day like today as I was clearly covering less ground than I would with a lure rod. Not an issue though. I just have to get some time using this gear as I want to do a little more in the year ahead, now is as good a time as any. The SIB was just one of those things that I had to put up with. It took me a couple of hours to pick up a fish but it was worth the wait, one of Jim’s flies did the trick again.
That moment was short lived however as I could see another two SIB’s coming directly toward me. I was waist deep in water wading and from about half a mile away one of them pulled up to me within casting distance, why would you do that? The two stroke he was using looked and sounded like it was from the Barry Sheen era.  Realising that it was over for me at this spot I walked back to the car. I could hear the angler swearing at his now silent engine as he drifted away on the tide. It did ignite to life once more. Like Frankenstein’s monster being hit by a bolt of lighting, out of gear and on full throttle for about 5 minutes, could still hear it as I drove away. The nearest he will get to a fish will be to visit Pets at Home or his local chippie.

A few hours passed and I picked up another fish on my lure rod just as the sun began to set. The little bar of silver soap gave me the slip as I unhooked it over the net it jumped out of my hands and off it went. A rare wind knot in my braid then brought me session to an end, it was time to head home anyway. Certainly not a classic day of Sea Trout fishing, but then again, every day and every fish is a bonus.

 

No comments: