Monday 4 May 2015

A frustrating day


When I made my way around the point I was heading for after a 20 minute walk I thought someone had laid a bunch of pot buoys. I stood and watched as they moved around counting seven over an area of about 100 yards at varying distances from the shoreline. Nice to see, not really a bonus when you’re after skittish Sea Trout. I don’t recall every coming across as many seals on one spot while actually fishing. There appeared to be a few pups launching themselves around in a carefree manner as well as possibly females and a big bull. The last time I was here there were two seals and each of the fish I caught were tight to shoreline. Sometimes they are a good indicator but I couldn’t see any type of fish being in the area.If they were they would be passing through mighty quickly. I walked back the way I came after a few casts. Spot number two, when I arrived it also had a pair of seals on the hunt. I was soon back at the car.
Spot number three, second cast and I had a solid hook up with a very nice fish which I unfortunately lost in the floating bladderwrack. Thinking the fish was still on I went in over the top of my waders to get it…. time for a coffee as  the plan for today was in the bucket by 10.30am. A short drive later and I was on another part of the coast, great no seals! I changed lures and put on a sparse epoxy minnow teaser. This can be really effective either below or above the lure but it does however complicate things with floating weed and snags so I don’t always use it.

A very welcome sight leaping in the two foot waves shortly after starting. Despite the days frustrations I think I might have cracked a smile. There was a downside, the energy I must have used smiling wiped me out and I feel asleep in the car for two hours.
I awoke refreshed and pushed on for the next instalment of todays events.  I made some casts over the top of a slipway along the shore and had another nice fish of about 3 pounds leaping in the air. The in-line lure was doing its job travelling right up to my leader connection and by doing so not providing the fish a leverage point at which to throw the hook. There was some fairly big waves rolling up the deep side of the slip and the glare even with my glasses on was pretty bad. You can imagine my delight when I made a stab at the fish, got it in the net but also apparently got the hook stuck in the edge of the net. When I lifted the net out all that it contained was some weed and the hook, awesome….

As I made my way back to car I picked up this little fish as well as  some information from a fellow angler visiting the beach with his son. This might end up being a handy tip with a fresh head and on another day. It was a pity to lose the two best fish of the day but sometimes that's just fishing for you.

2 comments:

Luremaniac! said...

Still, a day with fish is much better than a blank pal! Not gone after the spotless silver ones yet?

Martin said...

Indeed, my mind was elsewhere. Looking at the Windguru for the next week I will be back next weekend ducking the conditions instead of being afloat. I'll be in touch on the forum.