Thursday 23 April 2015

Sea Temperature getting there

Sea temperatures are slowly getting there. The seasonal warmer water will creep all too slowly around the coast of Donegal and up through the Southern Irish Sea. Machrihanish is almost there and is showing 9.1 at the moment, slightly above the average. I doubt the hardy surfers that arrive there will notice the marginal change in temperatures that makes for better prospects for catching Bass. This reminds of a good reason to go back here again at some point. It gets warmer faster than most of the Scottish coast as you can see if you know where to look on the map below.

Last year I had my first attempt for Bass on the 17th of May, then again five days later.. At that point they seemed to be about in numbers. I even caught a Garfish on this trip, a first for me in Scotland. I’ve not spotted any reports of Smoothies being caught yet but I would imagine that will change over the next week or so, won’t be long now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that 'Maccie' will soon be up to 10C but Co Down never appears to have Bass and the furthest north the Bass are reputed to go is Carlingford Lough, never could fathom that one

Martin said...

Aye, part of me thinks it would be interesting to know exactly where they come from and the path they take. At the same time, it's probably better to have a little mystery.