Monday 13 October 2014

For auld times sake

After yesterday’s success I fancied more of the same today. The strengthening wind forced a change of location to a part of the coast that I’ve not fished for a while. I had spotted a track on Google maps that I know leads to stretch of beach that has the scattered parts of an old wreck just about in casting distance. You can actually see it in the satellite image if you know where to look. I’ve not been to this part of the beach before so I ended up having to reverse 1/4 of mile back along an increasingly overgrown and muddy track which was leading to nowhere other than getting pulled out by a tractor. I eventually got to my destination and worked my way along the beach casting and looking for any signs of activity. Two hours later I puffed my way back to the car fishless and headed for a spot that I used to do alright on about 12 years ago. I’ve only fished it a handful of times since but it was on my doorstep back then. I climbed down to the mark and took my backpack off and found the nice smooth rock I used to sit on and began fan casting the area. I cast my mind back, as you do, and it occurred to me that it’s still the place that I’ve caught the most Bass from in a tide, this was followed up by a similar result the next day. It never did produce as much on any other visit but was always good for a fish or two. I wondered if any of those fish were still swimming around and if they were they would be old and indeed, a fair size, you can but daydream. Just at that the rod jolted over and snapped me back reality.
I checked my watch after putting the Bass back, right on the money, same stage of the tide and as it happens exactly at the same part of the rock point that 90% of the fish hit the lure. It seems some things never change.  Anyway that was it, a snag and a lost lure brought my session to a close two hours later, but at least it wasn’t a blank.

Time for a few more before the sun sets on my Bass season. I’m hoping for decent weather on the run up to the next set of tides.
 

No comments: