Monday 14 July 2014

Tompot corner

I’ve not fished with Scott for a while so we agreed to catch up over the weekend. We discussed a couple of likely venues before we agreed on a Wrasse bash in the SW at a spot neither of us was familiar with. It would be an early start on Sunday so Scott arrived after work on Saturday night and after a few hours sleep it was a quick breakfast before we hit the road.

When we arrived we had a look from vantage point before settling on a likely spot. We had a selection of baits to tempt the Wrasse, ragworm and hardback crabs but Scott started with an SP. I rigged up a sliding float and took a small Pollack first cast while Scott got a few taps from some small Wrasse.

We were fishing about ten yards apart and Scott landed a couple of Corkwing Wrasse. I seemed to be in Corkwing corner landing a few but missing loads of bites.


I had some big Corkwing knocking on for 6oz
As I changed my hook size again Scot came over to join me( in other words plunder my spot with a drop shot ragworm rig) As the depth increased  to about 25ft Scot’s method was proving more effective than my float rig even after the constant adjustments I made , he seemed to hook up on every cast.
Scott with a nice bend on a Ballan
The Corkwing, Goldsinny and Ballan came thick and fast. As ever, Scott also had Blennies on his mind so he dropped into a likely rock pool behind me and pulled one out within seconds. I made my mind up to change tactics but managed two lovely Rock Cooks and some Corkwings before switching to a drop shot rig with braid.
                                                                  Stunning little fish
Scot went to explore a point a short distance away in search of a Mackerel and I once more had the corner to myself, now named Rock Cook corner. After using nylon on my float rig it was a pleasure to be back using braid and being able to feel the little taps and hit the Wrasse before they nipped under the nearest rock.
                                                                    A lippy Ballan
Scott had caught a Launce and spotted lots of sandeels as well as a couple of Bass, that was enough to tempt me across. I made a few casts with an SG sandeel and then dropped straight down into the tide. It had just hit the bottom when it was duly nailed and the fish tore off in the tide. Not a big Pollack but it went well in the strong current.

We had a short break for some food and then went back to the Wrasse as the tide dropped off. The fish came steadily for us both and Scott got a Rock Cook as well. During the day I had mentioned Tompot Blennies to Scott a few times. By this point we were looking for some new species so every time I hooked a fish the chat was, it’s a Tompot.

Then it actually was! A new species for me and cool little fish.
                                    Scott arranged its eyebrows in a Mohawk for the picture
Over the next few hours the Wrasse continued to bite although they did get a little trickier. What was a bit of a surprise was that we ended up on two Tompot’s each. They turn up here and there in Scotland but to get four in a session is pretty unusual. The spot was now called Tompot corner.
We ended the day on ten species, Common and Tompot Blennies, Corkwing, Ballan, Goldsinny, Rock Cook, Pollack, Coalie, Poor Cod and Greater Sandeel. Just what I needed after a couple of weeks off, lots of fish and some good craic.
We arrived home just in time for the game starting. Lynne served up a nice Keema curry which we had with a couple of beers. I had the Germans at 3/1 from a few weeks back, nice way to end a good days fishing.
 
 




 



 

2 comments:

Col said...

Welldone guys a great variety of fish, would love to get one of those rock cook wrasse.

Martin said...

It was a nice days fishing Col, needed it.