Sunday 15 June 2014

Never a dull moment

I gave the fishing a miss yesterday but put my plan together for today. First stop bread roll thrown in to a lit area where I then cast 4 sabikis. A few chucks later and I had 3 small Polometa which were released into the bucket from my bedroom which was my mobile livewell….


En route to the Tarpon I put a crab pattern on a jig head and made some casts in the gully. I didn’t expect to hook a Stingray but that’s what happened. After a short run it bedded down for a rest and after 5 minutes it bit through my fluro, never a dull moment. There are people in swimming in some of these areas at 5am, not for me, your day could take a nasty turn for the worse.

Met my mate the security guard, gave him 4 beers and he seemed happy enough. He waved his hands about roughly 5 feet apart, he was right, big Tarpon, no babies this morning. I was shaking as I hooked the Polometa in the lip and dropped it in. I got a take straight away. I hit it hard and the fish tore off, leapt and spat the bait and the hook about 20 ft. away.  I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but my inexperience on these fish is showing coupled with bad luck I think. They were very skittish after that so I moved off the pier, maybe tomorrow, but time is running out. I’m also now without a watch. I heard knock then a splash when I struck the Tarpon and later worked out that it was my watch. I couldn’t have fastened it correctly this morning, happy days…..

I put on my Megabass Edonis and connected with a Cuda straightaway and the light was coming fast.

I then bumped into Sean and Robert. I had given Robert a Wave crab and jig head a couple of days ago, he had an 8 pound Bonefish on it yesterday AM. As he pulled the fish up the beach the jig head straightened but he managed to the get the fish which was a result. There are some very big Bones here to about 12 pounds, awesome fish.


I started to make some long casts and got multiple hits from Ladyfish and managed to land three. I then played a fish for about 5 minutes before the hook pulled out, not sure what it was but it went some and thought I had it beat, maybe  Jack Cravelle. I was off the beach for 7.30. It’s way   too busy today, guys with paddle boards and wading with metal detectors isn’t conducive to catching fish.


Monstrous eyes on these fish as well.......




 

2 comments:

Luremaniac! said...

Nice to see you enjoying your holidays man! Hope you get your tarpon soon...
Interesting to see those cram imitations working well...

Martin said...

Had a look this morning, think I'm giving up on them, not geared up for them really. Blanked this morning, had a few hits though. I had a few casts before dinner last night and played the biggest Cuda I've seen on my travels for over an hour before the hook came out, crazy. The fish was in the air a lot at the start of the fight, was about 5ft long and, bummer when a fish comes off that long into a fight. One morning session left....