Thursday 22 May 2014

Billy’s and a billfish


I was warned before I left the house today, no slips trips or falls ahead of our big day on Sunday. For a moment I thought about it, I then MTFU and got the gear ready.  I did however intend to be more careful than usual with any green boulders I might come across.

The water was a little creamy so I decided an SG sandeel in pearl might do the trick, didn’t  settle on it,  tried a laminated Wave Worm , then  a DC9 , all in 20 mins, daft really. I had another rummage through the box and picked a Mag Popper, considering that last year I went without a single take on the surface for the whole season I was for some reason confident this would solve the problem. It’s always scored for me in the past but last year this and any other surface lure I put on couldn’t buy me a bite.  Anyway,about 5 minutes after changing I was looking somewhere else but felt a tap. I looked around to see a big flat spot in the waves, fish, it came again, but got it this time, good fish, so we settled in for some fun for a minute or so but despite the brand  new Owners it came off, pissed right off, again….

This didn’t exactly make up for it but as it took off across the surface much Iike the Houndfish I’ve caught at a few destinations I knew I was into my first Scottish Garfish, not too common up here. I’ve caught Gars in Portugal but it was a bit of a surprise, especially in May on thinking about it.

Nearest I'm going to get to a Scottish billfish

Then a nice fish, strong this one, fannied about with it for a while before it was beached.




A nice little session with the fish all coming off the top. I hit the road quitting while I was ahead. I didn’t even get to high tide, might have gotten another fish or two but no point in pushing my luck, no point in tempting fate.



 

5 comments:

Col said...

thats a fantastic sesion martin welldone on the garr and that first bass is a cracker. for a breif second i thought you were on your hols. enjoy your big day.

Martin said...

Cheers.I did as well Col, slippery customers, lot of the time they come off. Caught them before wrapping some thread around the treble, the beak tangles and if the hook falls out you still keep it attached, not something I would plan for here....

Col said...

i remember them doing the thread method for sailfish on the telly.

Martin said...

Paul Young, think it was Costa Rica, maybe Mexico, it works for these as well, gets stuck in the fine teeth. Certainly easier on the Sails, livebaits can gut hook them, unfortunately done a few in that way on my travels.

Martin said...

Paul Young, think it was Costa Rica, maybe Mexico, it works for these as well, gets stuck in the fine teeth. Certainly easier on the Sails, livebaits can gut hook them, unfortunately done a few in that way on my travels.