Monday 21 April 2014

A sunny Easter Monday

A sunny bank holiday Monday arrived, a novelty indeed. Since Lynne broke her heel we’ve had to re-jig a lot of the things day to day and will do for the next two to three months at least. Janice and Phil arranged to come up for the day and help out domestically, that let me cut loose for a trip and was much appreciated.

It was warm, bright, windy, midday, low tide, in other words it all looked a wee bit tricky. I wasn’t wrong. The fish were around, sort of in the mood but if there were a score line I was on the wrong end of it, six nil down to a bunch of follows and nips. I decided to use a sparse epoxy minnow teaser and orange/chartreuse lure looking to change it around a bit and get some commitment. It worked but I lost them both, one of them would have been my best fish this year so far.
On the teaser
 
The teaser again, better condition , nice blue back. Despite being miles away there’s always a dog walker. As it happens I was warned this one likes to bite rod tips, nice to know, I’ve averaged a  new tip for the HPR just about every year, I would like to give that a miss this year if I can.

I’m starting to pick up small Coalies again. It’s occurred to me that the mature and larger fish in the system that have been around for a while must have them on their diet. I’m going to take some of the more battered patterns I have and paint them black over silver, can’t do any harm.
 


 

2 comments:

brian said...

Great stuff Martin, those sea trout are crackers.

Martin said...

Thanks Brian, contemplating spending a bit more time on these this year looking for a specimen, we'll see,,,,,