Sunday 23 March 2014

Some spring Sea Trout action

The radio announced spring had arrived a few days back, so typically when the hills came into view they were wearing a dusting of fresh snow. I picked a spot I liked the look of, not far from where I ended up last week, reasonably close to civilisation but it has a feeling of isolation, ideal.



It was a mid-morning start and I took a fish within the first 30 minutes.

The next couple of hours were fishless. I did try making a few changes, covered some ground and got a take on a tandem ragworm style fly fished with a Bombarda, first cast with it as it happens but the fish came off. I reckon that the birds that were consistently dipping and feeding when I was out last week were picking these up during their breeding cycle.
If you’ve ever dug ragworm at this time of year you’ll know two things, they’re harder to come by, and you also come across them in breeding colours, most likely green. Anyway, maybe there were just no fish around, maybe it was the seal that was following me but I walked back to car for a brew and some food, time for a move.

A fish on my first cast at the next spot.

  And then another 10 minutes later.
I could have stayed put and probably picked up another couple of fish but I had a move instead but caught nothing. When the sun was shining it was a beautiful day, with the clouds came the rain and the gusting wind made it sting my hands and face. Exhilarating conditions, when you’re dressed for it, and not walking to work with your best suit on for instance…..


I thought about heading home but decided to stick it out till dusk, predictably this proved to be the most productive part of my session. There was plenty of action in a 45 min period and I added a handful of smallish fish to my tally for the day before hitting the road.






 

2 comments:

Col said...

thats great sport martin, ive seen in a old magazine how to tie up those rag worm , think it was a chinese guys dressing, i never knew they would be so effective though.

Martin said...

The evening fish seemed to like it Col, not much joy in the afternoon on it. It has a tendency to double back and hook itself, less so when I made sure to feather it just before touch down, best practice with the Bombarda anyway.