Monday 29 July 2013

Too much thinking


I drew a blank on the Mullet in the morning and then took a walk in the sunshine to look at stretch of beach that I’m not overly familiar with. This could loosely be disguised as fishing as with mirror calm seas and bright sunshine the prospects were pretty much zero for Bass. A solitary Mackerel interrupted my walk. For once I wished there were more holes in my waders and had to stop off for a breather in the shade of some rocks before pushing on back to the car. With that objective achieved I bought myself a cold beer and went for a sleep for a few hours in preparation of a night shift.

I tend not to think too much about anything other than the business in hand while I’m on the beach not a conscious decision, it just happens and I’m better for it and lucky to have it this way. For whatever reason on Saturday night I was in a more thoughtful mood.  Work, family, money and of course my reasons for  standing in the dark alone on a Saturday night 100 miles from home  were sort of turning over in my head.  You definitely need an understanding partner and you definitely need to be driven, both of those boxes ticked. The balance of my thoughts were put on the to do list and I decided to concentrate on catching some fish as at this time of night there’s not much of a view you see.

My second fish of the night, catching at night on lures is just plain addictive

Fishing’s a funny game a lot of the time there’s nobody there to see your small victories but equally your failures as well, maybe something in that as its risk free in that respect.

If there’s a less damaging form of escapism I’m yet to find it. When fish like these tear off into the darkness  you feel every head sheak and tail beat it  was apparent to me why I was here.
I had three decent fish with the balance made up by some school Bass turning it into a good night to be on a beach in the rain. I did have an incident wading which was pretty silly, never came close to getting cut off before but that's what happened. The only other downside being my camera seems to be on the way out the FT20 is waterproof but some broad lines appeared on the screen and it also stopped working , I wasn't sure these would come out. It's currently residing in a bag of rice in case it's a moisture issue having noticed a droplet on the battery when I opened it up.






 

 
 

 
 

2 comments:

brian said...

Well deserved Martin, must be a real thrill hooking fish like that in the dark, they are absolute crackers!

Martin said...

Thanks Brian.It was a good night.Fishing by touch in darkness is different gravy, when it happens for you its worth the effort.Its not the only way to go but it is satisfying, for me anyway. I know someone who's just beaten their PB, nice fish, also at night.I would like to have been doing this 5 or 6 years ago, specimens on the whole are harder to come by in the last 3 years but if I get one it would be nice to get it at night( but I'm not fussy lol)