Thursday 11 July 2013

Sunny Sunday


I met up with fellow blogger Callum Connor AKA http://www.phishfingerz.com/ last weekend. We spoke about meeting up for a Wrasse session last year so the continuing heat wave provided a forecasted sunny Sunday that would be just the ticket.

We exchanged a few texts on Saturday and after I had Lynne check the ferry times for Sunday (I was out of 3G and battery life) we agreed to meet at 7am for the 7.15am ferry. After 5 hours sleep and a 5.30am rise we met up in the car park near the ferry only to shortly realise the first ferry was 9.15am, nice one Lynne! With a couple of hours to kill I drove us both up to Wemyss Bay with the intention of maybe putting us on a Wrasse from the rocks. Callum opted for a weedless plastic and I went for a metal for maybe a mackerel. Callum was first up with some action a  follow straightaway and on my third cast from the rocks my lure was hit, the rod bent and I was into a nice little Sea Trout, good start. Neither Callum nor I had a camera at that point but just as it was about lift out time the fish came off. Callum then had a couple of hits but soon enough it was time to get back in the car.

We eventually got to the mark and I began to rig up a second rod with my plan being sort of bait and switch, find a pocket of Wrasse with float fished ragworm and then throw some plastics at them. I hadn’t the line through the second eye when Callum was into a fish which turned out to be a Pollack about a pound followed by another and umpteen hits on his Fiish Minnow. I eventually made my first cast with a Ribster lure and 5g head and a few lifts and a turn into the first cast the rod hooped over and after a nice run I was snagged, school boy error as the drag was still slackened off after playing the Sea Trout. The fish worked itself out after 5 minutes I was able to lift it free of the kelp.

 
The bites dried up pretty quickly and we started to move around to find the fish.
A Ballan on float fished rag I then had few cast with lures. It produced some interest but the fish didn't seem that agressive on the day.
Callum on a Gulp/weedless conhead set up
The Wrasse seem to be smaller at the moment
The Ribster again...
I found a little pocket of fish in a gulley and we set about trying to extract them
Another species for this year, a little Corkwing
It was really hot day and it looks almost tropical here
 
So, nice enough day, fishing was OK but it still has a way to go for numbers and size of fish. The early start was a killer for me and even with the air con on the drive home felt like it took a long time. I arrived home in time to see most of the tennis, worst ways to spend a Sunday.

4 comments:

Col said...

Some beautiful fish for you guys, they ribs terms do seem to be the business.

callum said...

Great fishing with you big eggs!

Need to get back out again at the back end ;)

Martin said...

Always enjoy my Wrasse fishing but again they seem to be on the small side.Good to be catching just the same.

Having the opp next Wednesday so will be having a break for a week. Actually think this will be a good thing as the mojo's going a bit at the moment...

Martin said...

It was a pleasure Callum, good luck in your new venture. We can get another trip in anytime...