Sunday 14 July 2013

Bass guiding with Sam

I got a text from Sam late last week asking if he could meet up with me at the weekend when he was up from London. I don’t need an excuse to cut loose for a couple of tides and with Lynne spending money on wedding dresses an overnight trip was a winner.

Sam does more Trout fishing than anything else so on the way down I explained where we would be going, tactics for the night, how I would go about fishing the marks and what to expect. We pitched the tent on a beach and got the burgers sorted out and then cracked on with the fishing. It turned out to be Mackerel mania, never seen so many here, great fun but not really what we were after. We did manage to catch Bass but they were small.
It was nice to be fishing at night in a t-shirt for once
I then took him to a mark I call wheelchair beach as that’s what you will need if it all goes wrong. We stumbled around in the dark with Sam occasionally moving like Bez in the 90’s but fair play to him he never put his torch on once. We drew a blank and I was told I was a shit guide so we hit our beetle infested tent at 3am for some shut eye.

We made a few casts about 7am and I lost a fish but with the tide still dropping it was time for bacon rolls and some coffee. Then we were on for a cracking session where we caught fish on the two areas we visited.
This fish clonked the lure on the first turn of the handle.
Strange picture this as the fish looks dead but it went back.
Its too bright for Bass today..........
This fish fought like a tiger and also snagged me three times. I was really lucky to land it.
Sam was delighted with the fish he caught.His previous PB was a pound.
I've had some Pollack on the long rod but on this trip it was well and truly christened.
 
One of those days when you look at the sea and you just know......
 





 

4 comments:

Col said...

Some smashing bass, the wheel chair looks a bugger to wade.

Martin said...

Yes it is Col, a lot of the beaches are accidents waiting to happen. Its not if, but when you tumble..

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of beachy head

Martin said...

Just a tad north of there :0)