Friday 5 April 2013

Sterling silver and a PB

Some fishing after a tough week at work, never a bad thing. 2 from 2 in fact , 100% return on hook ups which all too often is not the case with Sea Trout. And two crackers  at that.



No sign of fish. Slight touch, was it weed? Flash behind the lure, pick up the pace, deep boil on the mirror you’re peering into, lift the rod tip, slow down the retrieve, the pace goes out the lure as it falls kicking from side to side as it goes, the line goes tight and you realise that you were  actually paying attention and your eyesight’s not as bad as you thought it was. All this in 2 seconds. Anglers can talk some shit but that’s how it is, sometimes.
This fish was a thrash and jump merchant.Doubtful I would have landed this one without it being  an in-line set up, lots of jumps and thrashing.A quick measure( I've decided to go metric as well as measure this year:) ) and it then took a while to recover as they do when they scrap like this. 
After an hour or so I was about to head home as they’re had been no further sign of life. I decided to change lures to a Hansen Fight which I’ve painted white and added some mother of pearl to the treble. About ten minutes later the rod took a jolt and the line shot off at an acute angle. I didn’t need to work for this one, the fish was just on….In comparison to my last fish this one stayed deep, no jumps but it made 3 or 4 decent runs and then got its head down into some boulders.


57cm a peach!

The fish was going back so didn’t want to take any longer than necessary but have to say I’m disappointed its smudged as it's also my PB. It would have been nice to get this one in June when its put on a little more weight. The joys of self timed pictures.

4 comments:

Col said...

Well done Martin both crackers!

brian said...

Well done Martin, superb sea trout!

Martin said...

Cheers Col, lost two fish last year around the size of the bigger one. It's nice to get the monkey off my back early in the season. Perch & Bass next, no pressure....

Martin said...

I was nearly back out tonight Brian, the Mrs has other ideas though.