Friday 30 April 2010

Mini Tarpon

My dry spell continued tonight albeit with some entertainment. The target was Sea Trout on a dropping tide into darkness. When I locate these fish in the sea any breach on the surface even a slight lump or wake usually pays dividends. The result in my experience is almost always an offer or a follow. Tonight I did this four times and had four hook up’s. On a bad night I would expect to get two from four, tonight was worse with no fish landed. Two of the fish hit the lure and took straight off into the air, second jump and then the slack line you dread. The next two solid head shakes and then the realisation that something’s not right more jumps….same result. I had one other fish follow me right in leaving a nice wave and boil in inches of water, probably the best fish of the night 16 inches or so, I flicked the lure out a short distance thinking the fish was still in the area, it was, same result a nice follow then off. On reflection I think I was a little sore on two of the fish being a bit out of practice. I use a softer rod for this and always nylon as mainline while the Bushie would have been nice to use in my opinion it’s just too quick for ST.

No comments: