Friday 6 November 2009

June-Bass







When I came back from Norway summer had arrived and the fantastic spell of weather continued into June.

Not having done much Bass fishing for a couple of years I decided to re- focus my attention on these fish. Having had a static in the Luce Bay area for a few years I knew the area pretty well so sort of picked up where I left off. The main problem here was that before the early morning and evening session were easy in there was no need to travel further than 30 minutes. Not so now, indeed a round trip of 4 hours was required. The answer was simple, pick the right tides where I could which suited the venues I could fish both at dusk and dawn. With darkness falling around 11.30pm and dawn at 3.30am there was not much point in putting a tent up or investing in a B&B so got my head down in the Merc. With a portable stove for a dawn brew or an evening pot noodle what more do you need when there are Bass to be caught?

My partner Lynne thought I was nuts… think she thought I was at it. I explained that her name was Betty Bass a somewhat prickly character, fickle at times and only available at the most unsociable time of the day.

I enjoyed some very good results throughout June with up to seven fish a session and average catch of around 5 fish using lures such as the Maria Chase BW and Maria Angel Kiss, decent lures for the money. Effective colours seemed to be holo silver, green eel, pearl silver.



I also tried a few more local areas only an hour or so from my home with some success. I remember one evening taking a fish off the surface on a mag popper enjoyed that one big time, two casts later a Gannet took the lure thankfully it was not hooked. I couldn’t believe that this bird came so close in on such shallow and rocky ground, anyway it was good enough to fool a Bass and a Gannet so I must have been doing something right. So all in a good month with a few barbies and some cold ones thrown in. It was a busy month. I was also in hospital for surgery and had to take some time off work this curtailed me a little. It did however give me some time to spend money online buying...eh lures, rods and more lures

No comments: