Saturday 4 February 2017

French style( or the lack of it)

Incredibly, I have never got around to fishing for Grayling. I’ve thought about it now and then over the years but didn’t put the thinking into action.

Callum and I haven’t fished together for a couple of years. In fact, the last time was a bonkers 6 hour round trip turn and burn to meet me on a Bass mark. The fishing had been good that day and I was pretty relieved he got a nice fish on a lure at night for his efforts. Callum will know that feeling all too well as he’s been busy building his thriving guiding business over the last few years.

 I gave him a call a few weeks back for a catch up, had a look at a few dates that suited us both and before you know it, we were in the car talking about life in general and of course, fishing.
 
Callum demonstrated, to good effect, how to use a French leader. I was pretty rubbish in all honesty. I could blame the strong wind blowing downstream, but truthfully, I found it difficult to work with. Every now and then I got the upstream angle just right letting the fly’s work properly. Just as I thought I hit a reasonable rhythm, a Grayling agreed.
Image courtesy of Scotia Fishing/Callum Connor
Tearing around in the current displaying the red edge of its raised dorsal in the sunlight will be a memory that stays with me for a while. I was delighted.
Image courtesy of Scotia Fishing/Callum Connor
I enjoy fishing with Callum, need to make sure it’s not years before next time mate.  If you’re visiting Scotland and looking for a first class guided fishing experience get in touch with Scotia Fishing top guy, top guide.
 
 
 



 

No comments: