Monday 2 May 2016

Windy and weedy

I was back in the salt today, thankfully it didn’t rain much. It was however the kind of day that would have many an unhinged windsurfer frothing at the mouth and polishing their board till midnight in anticipation of the day ahead (do they even do that?)

Almost despite myself I found a couple of Sea Trout. The phrase “fishing like a dick” hasn’t been used for a while on here but it applied today. Sometimes the fish come easy, sometimes not and today made me even more appreciative of the guys and girls who choose a fly rod as their weapon of choice 100% of the time.

As I picked hooks out of a variety of objects in between various tangles I was reminded of a recent re- tweet I spotted on a well-known Bass guide site. Said slightly tongue in cheek I would I imagine.

“Saltwater Fly fishing is for people who think they are so clever that they have to make it hard for themselves!”
I’m not that smart but I’m daft enough to have a go, even today.
 
I had a decent line out and had just pulled it straight, the fly was sinking and was taken on the drop. The fish then went on a nice little run taking the few remaining feet of line out the basket and I was straight on the reel. Satisfying....

I had to literally dig this one out of the weed with the net followed by tying yet another leader.
With some luck the next blog post should include some of these. I might even use the fly rod ( for a little while at least)
Twaite Shad
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

2 comments:

The Hill Fly Fisher said...

Nice post Martin, give me a shout if you want to do some casting. Craig

Martin said...

Will do Craig, when I get back from Ireland I'll give you a bell. Mid-week has been hectic at work recently but I'll make a point of it. Thanks Martin.