Thursday 26 May 2016

The Godfather v The Godmother

I’ve been lucky many times over the years, the hooks hold, the knots stay tight and I’ve found myself in the right place at the right time either by luck or some knowledge. From time to time, like everyone else I pick up a few accidental captures along the way.
Some you win- some you lose from Martin A on Vimeo.
I was genuinely surprised by the size of this Pike. It was hooked on heavy drop shot gear while fishing for Perch, Spro Godfather 3, 5-28g and 8 pound Suffix 832. I took my time and let the gear do the work. It was hooked right in the centre of the top lip. In the end, the hook must have worn a hole and popped out just when I got to a boat with a net big enough for the job. I took this option as I didn’t want to risk breaking the fish off handling it on this gear.

No shortage of bait around
My new rod is a little long in the butt section. I'll probably take something off this as it was pretty awkward at times. One of these things when you buy blind, there were no dimensions on this element of the rod published.
I kind of regret not having this with me. Space is limited and it would have been overkill on a Perch session. I hope I get a shot at a fish like that again when I actually start targeting them. The Perch fishing on Saturday was average and the fish were small, early days though, a big stripey will come along soon.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Jim B said...

I feel your pain Martin ! That was a good fish played patiently. It was just one of these character building scenarios that the good lord puts us through for our own personal development and his amusement. You took it well mate !