Sunday 14 June 2015

First launch in Luce Bay

I decided to bite the bullet and go for my first Bass trip aboard Das Bite. This area deserves some respects when it comes to tides and wind direction. Before setting off I checked in with Belfast coastguard providing details of my trip and when I would return. On setting off conditions were nice and I was fishing a part of the coast I know well. I’ve had some good fishing here in the past so I was interested to fish it from another angle. There were a few terns here and there which I felt was a positive sign. Not long after setting off I marked a couple of shoals of what were probably sandeels. One of these had three or four fish of some description trailing them but none of them fancied my FBM.

I zig zagged around getting a feel for the bottom consistency and any features. I came across a spot with some fish showing and thought these might be Pollack. I put on an SG Slug and 20g head and spent about 20 mins covering the area without a touch. I then went on to set up a really nice drift which took me about half a mile along the coast at just the right angle.
Having set my drogue from the rear of the boat it was perfect, just the right angle and the right speed. Perfect with the one exception, no Bass.
 Not long after this I could feel the wind picking up and changing direction and white tops started to appear. As I worked my way back to the launch spot I got snagged trawling a Rapala. I got this loose but it was quite tricky, when I turned and went back I was side on and going into a few breaking troughs. It was time to get to the beach as I wasn’t particular comfortable with how it looked and felt. I managed to get the boat on the beach without going side on which was something I was worried about, nearly but not quite, I was glad to be in.
It’s sensible to match your limits to your experience especially when fishing alone . It looks calmer than it  actually was here.
If there were any Bass around I’m pretty sure I would have had a fish having covered the ground I know holds them. You cannot catch what is not there but I’ve gained a little more experience and my drysuit tan is coming along nicely.

No comments: