Saturday 27 June 2015

All's well...

I made time to get a trip in this weekend but I’m not sure how wise it was as I’ve got a busy weekend ahead of me socially.

Arriving about 8pm on Friday night I got rigged up and on the water dodging most of the midges thanks to a downpour of rain which didn’t last.

I shouldn’t have been in too much of a hurry as it was about 11pm before I had my first fish.


I emerged from my sleeping bag when the alarm went off at 4am to be met by thick mist. I had another 15 minutes kip till it got a little lighter.

The loch was alive with silver fish jumping  and rising which had me thinking about casting a little CDC at them. There’s only so much gear you can take with you, maybe one for another morning. There was also lots of activity down below but I didn’t have as much as a bump from a fish after trying a few different methods including shads, drops shot and a Carolina rig.
Another modest little Perch obliged to break my duck. I’m going to look into this pink fleck colouring I see on most of the fish here, not a great picture but I suspect it’s due to their diet.


I reached a spot where I could see tiny fry just about making the water ripple so I cast my rig behind them and worked it towards me pausing it where I thought the edge of the shoal was.
I had 4 fish then hooked a much better one which I tried to lift in, but of course the inevitable happened and the hook shook free. I’m buying a scoop net the first chance I get, just daft not having one when you’re chasing a specimen.
This nice one sort of made up for the loss.
My second Pike of the day. All in a good session with a recovery after a shaky start. I was off the water for 10am and the traffic on the way home was much better than expected which was handy.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

4 comments:

Col said...

Some smashing big perch there Martin well done!

Martin said...

Thanks Col, hard to find on the day but that's most of the battle I guess.

Martin said...

Thanks Col, hard to find on the day but that's most of the battle I guess.

Martin said...

Thanks Col, hard to find on the day but that's most of the battle I guess.