Wednesday 11 February 2015

Off the mark

The morning traffic was a pain, I was eager to leave the usual mid-week routine behind me, today I was going fishing.  I’ve not been out since November and regardless of the weather or the tides I intended to be on the beach today. I went through the old routine  layering various items of clothing ,climbed into my waders, laced my boots, put my rod together, picked a likely looking lure and got down to business. It was nice to be back. February is early, the 11th being the earliest I can target Sea Trout. Despite the traffic I arrived bang on time and about ten minutes after my first cast I felt a tap followed by a solid take and the familiar thump thump and my first fish of 2015 was on its way to the landing net. A quick picture and off it went like a silver bullet.
I made a few moves, tried my usual spots, most of my lures and wished I had picked up my bombarda floats, shrimp fly’s and ragworm patterns as either the fish weren’t there or didn’t fancy what I had with me. I did have one follow with the fish leaving a couple of nice boils on the surface as it tracked my lure before fading off. I changed my offering and covered the area again without success. I decided to make one more stop on the way home and although I didn’t fancy the tidal stage there was always the chance of a fish.
So, a couple of fish and a modest start to the year, at least I’m off the mark.



2 comments:

brian said...

Well done Martin, not a bad start at all I would say!

Martin said...

Thanks Brian , it was a relief just to be out again.