Wednesday 11 June 2014

Spooled

Slow morning, no Ladyfish, Tarpon or Bone’s. The spot where the action has been was stone dead with the exception of a big Snook cruising 10 feet away from me in the gutter, must have been at least 10 pounds. I had two casts at it before it was spooked, nice to see which means they are present at least.
Rough night for this little chap I found on the beach, that's all inclusive for you.

Robert shooting a cast net and the results, look like Ballyhoo I’ve used for bait before but I’m not  100% sure.
 

 

They have curios arrangement for feeding. We have a plan for these. I’ve found about a dozen Tarpon up to about 4ft long that sit under one of the jetties just before dawn. For once I hope it's a smaller one that takes the bait. I’ve bunged the security guard ten dollars and Robert and I for a shot at them 5am tomorrow. Not sure if we can get live bait before it gets light but we’ll try. If not I’ll either chunk these or try a fillet and free line it. The other options are to go catch some crabs with them and fish these live.
 
 
I walked past my hotel on the way back, about 7.45am. I spotted some Pelicans and Terns working   off the end of the stone jetty. Unusually when arrived they were still there. I put a line out 60 yards and it landed right amongst the birds. I had about two turns on the reel and thought I had a hooked a bird, it was a fish which proceeded to go on a spool burning run for the horizon, no idea what it was. I was now left with about 10 yards of braid and 20 yards of nylon backing. I dabbed the spool with my finger to apply just a little touch more pressure and my leader snapped with  was  140 yards of braid out, mental.  I was really beaten by the range I hooked the fish at; maybe if it was a bit closer the outcome may have been different. You could be mistaken that this was a fishing trip I guess, but if it was I wouldn’t be as under gunned as I am, this was Stella and 30kg braid material.
Back in the hotel with my tail between my speedos for 8.30am. I think there are more options here for decent fishing off the beach than my web searches indicated or I might have come slightly more prepared.
 

 

No comments: