Friday 31 January 2014

Scotiafishing.com

It takes a certain amount of bravery, drive and self-belief to set out on your own in business, when that business is fishing I’ll tip my hat to those that make the move.  It’s possibly a dream for most of us on a Monday morning stuck in traffic or in an office with deadlines and targets. So the thought of being on a loch, river or beach at 6am on a July morning with someone paying you to be there appeals to me and probably anyone reading this. However, the reality of capricious fish, poor weather, forums and the expectations of fellow anglers might see most of us crumble, being a fishing guide is not an easy life, you probably won’t be rich but it is a lifestyle choice.


So it was good to see my friend Callum Connor recently push out on his own with http://scotiafishing.com/  providing tailor made Pike, Trout, Grayling, Salmon, Saltwater fly & lure fishing experiences in Scotland.

I’ve fished with Callum socially and can vouch for his passion, enthusiasm and knowledge of the industry and wish him all the best in his new venture.

I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel the pressure to put him on to a fish when he drove from Stirling to meet me down at the Mull of Galloway last summer (and back the same night, committed or what?). The target fish was a Bass on fly or lure at night.


That mission was accomplished but I just hope his nerves are better than mine! I guess we shall see as he’s putting me through my paces with an integrated shooting head and salt fly rod soon. It’s been a while since I picked up a fly rod in anger so he might have his work cut out, good luck Cal!

2 comments:

callum said...

Thanks for the kind words Sir!

I'm looking forward to a few more of those nights this year :) I'll push the boat out and get a hotel this time though!

Martin said...

You're welcome. Lets hope for a good summer.