Wednesday 1 January 2014

Grinding out a few on the cut

I made my final trip of 2013 down south to the midlands for a couple of days on the cut. The weather forecast was a mixed bag but it looked like I might miss the torrential rain and storms that were heading in the direction of Scotland.

I picked up where I pretty much finished off on my last trip but the snaggy  swim that produced the goods before was lifeless, after it claimed a couple of rigs  I had a walk and few cast towards a nearby road bridge. It was pretty bright by now so I flicked the lure along the shadow of the bridge and had a nice Perch take the lure pretty much where I expected the fish to be hanging out. After unhooking the fish I sat it in the net and let it rest in the canal while I got my camera. The fish however was camera shy and took the opportunity to find a new hole which appeared from somewhere and it was on its way back to its mates.
I picked this one up after making an on the bank temporary repair to my landing net, it’s about 15 years old so probably about time to replace it. I lost a small Zander shortly after that but after about 3 hours and a lot of walking I got the impression that fish weren’t around in numbers so made a move about 5 miles away.
The Perch were really tight to the wall between two boats and I managed three fish in quick succession before targeting a swim where I suspected there might still be some Zander stuck in a short stretch between two locks.
My hunch was right.
Both Zander really wanted the lure and long nose foreceps were required for both.

The next day I was on the canal for dawn after scraping the car windscreen following a severe overnight frost. With the canal being 30ft wide and no more than 4 feet deep anywhere I suspected that this might have an impact on the fishing. I didn’t however expect to be fishless 7 hours later but that’s how it went, brutal. I was glad to be off the water and heading back to Stef’s for some paella (also fishless as it happens) and a few beers.
The highlight of Sunday was this Kingfisher which I managed to get a poor quality shot using the zoom function. I dont spend a lot of time on inland waterways so it was nice to see one. The last time I came across this bird was near Saumur in France on the bank of the Loire the same day that Tyson bit Holyfields ear off, a long time ago in other words.

I wasn’t intending to fish the next day but I woke up early and noticed there was a lot of cloud cover and some rain so the temperature hadn’t fallen below zero overnight. I hit the canal for two hours before heading home.
One for the road and the double blank was off. This was the only offer on my short session.




 
 
 










5 comments:

Scott Hutchison said...

Well done mate. I need a zed fix. :-D

Kingfishers are so cool. There's one on the Water of Leith. Love when they fly past. Electric blue streak. Awesome.

Martin said...

Cheers Scott- twas a hard couple of days to be fair. I just saw a blue flash and there it was, actually spotted one on Monday morning as well, great to see. Need another fix myself soon. The Severn will be crazy with this rain and the countdown is on for the closure of Grafham. I'm sure we could tempt a few from somewhere...

Andy said...

What is it.... The last photo I mean.. Photoshopped?

Martin said...

Hi Andy, its a sad looking Zander, I blame the weather. No photoshop on this blog

Andy Morley said...

Just looks really odd. :)