Thursday 6 June 2013

A few hours in Dundee

Last weekend’s blank was still in my mind when I started fishing on Wednesday night mainly due to a massive leak discovered in my waders the minute I started wading. This was thanks to sliding down a barnacle covered rock in search of the first Bass of 2013, anyhoo I’ll be trying to put that right this weekend….


As I made my way along the beach I was followed by some feathered friends.




I think they must have thought I was after Mullet as it seemed they were looking for some bread, three hours later they were still with me, they must have just liked the company.


I had a succession of small Coalies about 8 inches in length. I’ve seen this before here and the Sea Trout seem difficult to catch when they’re around. Not sure if it’s the competition or they just don’t like to mix. It was proven to be the case again tonight and it took me a while to eventually get on offer.  I had to walk along the beach to some skinny water to get away from the Coalies.

This fish took on a long cast of about 45 yards after I saw some black headed gulls picking up some morsels at range. I presumed they might be getting on some small fish or eels scoured out by the tide.




It was a lively scrap and I had to retie the leader which was badly frayed. I’ve had this happen a good few times this year, as well as jumping the fish have got down and tried to remove the hook on the bottom. I made a pig’s ear of netting the fish and in the end the only thing that kept it attached were its teeth which got stuck in the net!   After rigging up again I made a similar long cast, this time the fish hit the lure right at the end of the retrieve. A smaller fish this time but more than welcome.  
So two Sea Trout in two casts after 3 hours fishing. I’d had enough and made my way back to the car wet  yet again...











2 comments:

Col said...

Nice one Martin, wet waders , I know that feeling , they never last.

Martin said...

Sick of it to be honest. They should make a proper salt water set up with padding or lining on the backside and and knees for this type of use.