Monday 2 April 2012

1 from 9 on the ST

A bit more activity out there today and it’s the first time I’ve seen any baitfish this year. It was a nice day for fishing mild with good cloud cover that helped extend the morning session a bit and a nice light wind. I also saw two fish on the surface a good way off the beach so all in starting to feel a bit more like it despite snow apparently being on its way.


I put in 5 hours today and went 1 from 9 on the Sea Trout. Only one of the 8 other fish felt the hook and it nearly gave me a heart attack. The last thing you should be doing at the end of a retrieve is day dreaming which is exactly what I was doing. I was watching some ducks when the fish hit me with about 12 feet of line from the rod tip and the fish went vertical straight away at about eye level to where I was wading, probably 5 pounds. I’m unlikely to see another fish like that for some time but that’s fishing!


I had this fish earlier in the morning on a copper and red Pilgrim spoon. I guess it’s about 2 pounds. I took some nice video of the release only to find out I hadn’t hit the record button


The balance of the action came by way of follows and boils. An enjoyable day made more so by the fact that it was a Monday.